Featuring our Customer – NewField Woods
The existing sign for NewField Woods is made of wood that has rotted and become infested with insects. Over the 15 years of its life it has been repainted, it has had pieces rebuilt and pieces replaced.
Crivello Signs, Inc. is using a urethane composite material that will fare better than any wood sign material that must endure the New England weather.
The Before and After image below shows the wood sign on the left and the brand new, foam sign on the right. Not only material change but a small rounded shape at the top of the sign was incorporated for a higher impact, more interesting appearance.
Urethane Foam Signs have become A long lasting alternative to Wood Signs.
Typically a wood sign with any dimension will have joints. It’s usually not just one big solid piece. New England weather extreme cold to extreme heat causes expansion and contraction. This allows water to seep into the joints, eventually rotting the wood away. Not the case with high density urethane foam.
This proven, high-density urethane (HDU) foam board delivers exceptional versatility and outstanding value, whether carved, routed, sandblasted or machined.
It’s a little more money but its the best product available to the trade. It’s lifespan will prove the savings.
People often ask us “what can you do to restore or fix a sign? Repainting a wood sign is just a bandaid. Paint fails to fill in the gaps and seams weather has revealed. The benefits of the high density urethane foam signs have far lasting qualities. All you will have to do to restore a foam sign would be to wash it down and repaint it.
Urethane does not decompose. The only thing that gets compromised is the finish. To get the best life of the finish, Crivello Signs uses a Benjamin Moore latex aura, a premium exterior paint that provides a seal to the material. This paint of choice for architects.
Advantages at a Glance of High-Density Urethane Sign Foam
- It is completely waterproof
- SIGN·FOAM is not an organic material. Nothing can soak through the surface to the interior of the material. It is 100% waterproof before you put a drop of paint on the surface.
- It will withstand extreme heat or cold
- It won’t warp or bow
- SIGN·FOAM is a “Green” Creative medium in any color created from 240 recycled plastic water bottles in every sheet.
- SIGN·FOAM is environmentally friendly. Not only does it save trees as an optimal wood replacement, it is sustainably produced, with a minimum of 16 percent green content. In fact, every sheet contains 240 recycled plastic water bottles. So, this material is better for your work, better for the earth, and better for your health. What’s more, this eco-friendly solution can contribute LEED certification points for building credits. SIGN·FOAM is nontoxic and made in the U.S.A.
- SIGN·FOAM will not rot, decay or decompose.
- It will withstand extreme heat or cold because it is unaffected by temperature, humidity or barometric pressure
- SIGN·FOAM is highly chemically resistant.
- For 3D graphics it is the Artists choice for creating stunning dimensional signs
Types of Finishes Available for Urethane Foam Signs
- Semi Gloss
- High Gloss Mirror finish
- Matte finish
Satin, semi-gloss, and high gloss are easy to maintain as they only need light washing to maintain the composite sign. These are the top choices for Cape Cod. Matte finish is not recommended. It shows all the imperfections. It’s not sun resistant or pollen resistant. And the rain soaks in and permeates the finish causing marking and staining.
Custom Options Available to you with our Urethane Foam Signs
We can carve into the composite material. Therefore, the possibilities open up.
- We can create raised or carved dimensional letters and images
- Aluminum doesn’t rust or corrode. We clear coat it for extra protection.
- Gold leaf lettering adds a high end quality and class to your sign
- Add a Smaltz finish. A smaltz finish contains crushed fine black glass mixed in and glued to the finish. This adds an amazing appearance.
- It reduces glare in sun
- It adds a textured finish
- It’s durable
- It looks great in gold leaf sign because of its glare reducing capabilities
- You can select sheets in multiple densities. Choose a standard or custom thickness, depending on your project.
Crivello Signs, Inc. has solutions for any application and budget. We are your creative sign design specialists.
wood signs versus foam signs